Frogs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails



Sunday, September 21, 2008

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK

OK, so how many times do your children just make you stop in your tracks and say something that just blows you away?! Well, around here it happens pretty often, whether a precious something they've come up with or something less desirable, like "Momma you got a big ole' fluffy bootie", yes that has come out of their mouth before, not too long ago to be exact. However, I was blown away this week when LEVI taught ME a lesson. He has a child in his room who is precious but a little "hyper". "He gives me a headache and just keeps disturbing me" to put it in Levi's terms. Anyway, Levi comes home and says that the little boy had "slapped him on the cheek" while they were at break. I totally went in to the "Defensive Mommy Mode" and said with a not so nice tone, "So what did you do?!". "Well, Momma I turned to the other side and told him to hit me on that one too." AMAZING!! The guilt and conviction I felt for my "rotten attitude" and the super proud feeling that my child handled the situation so well, it was overwhelming!! He said, "Ain't that what the Bible says, Momma?" "Of course" I told him that was exactly right and how proud I was of him. I could not believe that MY 33 yr.old fleshly attitude immediately took over and HIS 6yr.old spiritual attitude took over. Whose teaching who here? I cannot explain the joy in my heart of knowing that all those Sunday School lessons that he seemed to be so preoccupied with crafts in and the messages that he seemed to ignore and "play"during had paid off. And at a time when I could not be there The Holy Spirit was! How great it is to know that when out of our hands and sight they are ALWAYS in the palm of HIS hand. So often I should be more Christ-like and less Angie-like and how simple the situation resolves when we have the attitude of Christ, "all strife ceases". I LOVE YOU MY LITTLE LEVI!! You are such a precious gift that God has blessed us with!(you too, Houston!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ang...LOVE this story...maybe he can use it as he takes his teachings on the road from church to church. Or at least maybe from classroom to classroom at the school. Child-like Faith....if only we all could keep that so close to heart and mind.

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

This is a precious story, I think we can all learn something from this. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

wow - what a great story to take with me today. sweet children. i wonder where they get it?? :)